Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Are the Systems really accurate???? (Read 3572 times)
Bernoulli

Are the Systems really accurate????
Jul 30th, 2013 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Hi guys:
I used to fly the 737-200 and have a copy of the QRH emergency checklists. I have seen a few videos on youtube of captain sim's 737-200 and was very impressed. I was wondering if this simulation is accurate enough to replicate system failures that I could solve using my old QRH checklists.

For instance, If I were to disconnect the CSD will I in fact loose the generator and get the appropriate caution lights? Or what about circuit breakers?... Can you pull any of them?
Thanks in advance for any replies Smiley

ATX Mid Tower Case, Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz, ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard&&Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, 8GB memory, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD, 1TB HD, Gigabyte grforce 650ti 2gb oc, 750 Watt PSU, Optical Drive DVD/CD Writer, Win 7 (64-bit), MS-800 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: Are the Systems really accurate????
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Hi, Bernoulli and welcome to the forums.  Smiley

I hope I can answer some items in regard to the system depth. While I would say that's it's good and represents a lot of systems and details of the real plane, I doubt that the QRH approach of yours will match it. Means the plane is meant to be operated without failures and may not perform like the real one if you would manually cause some.

For example, the circuit breakers are fixed and I think the electrical system strictly follows the lines of the FSX standard. Now your CSD disconnect example might be different as I think it would cause some warnings being closer to the real counterpart. But, in general, I think you would need more and deeper systems to perform the things you've mentioned.

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
CoolP wrote on Aug 2nd, 2013 at 4:14pm:
For example, the circuit breakers are fixed and I think the electrical system strictly follows the lines of the FSX standard. Now your CSD disconnect example might be different as I think it would cause some warnings being closer to the real counterpart. But, in general, I think you would need more and deeper systems to perform the things you've mentioned.

Hi CoolP:
Thanks so much for you response.
Yeah...I had my suspicions about the depth of system failures I'd be able to throw at it. Well, what about how it actually flies?... For instance, would you by any chance know how it would handle precision and non precision approaches (two engine and single engine) V1-cuts, steep turns, and stalls? Thanks so much for the replies. Smiley

ATX Mid Tower Case, Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz, ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard&&Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, 8GB memory, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD, 1TB HD, Gigabyte grforce 650ti 2gb oc, 750 Watt PSU, Optical Drive DVD/CD Writer, Win 7 (64-bit), MS-800 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse&&

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2013 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Tough call, in a way. Firstly, I'm using mods for the FDE and engine behaviour (find them in the forums, they are free), so this may contribute to at least a different impression in regard to the default setup. Secondly, while I do fly precision and non precision approaches, I don't perform engine failure scenarios. By this, 'lack of data' from my side.  Embarrassed

Other aspects. You may not be too comfortable using the Flight Director. I think Lou, a former rw pilot, also confirmed some issues with that system. The rest of the approach tasks and checklists don't form up any problems though and I receive (and fly) my v speeds from another mod.

I did never perform V1-cuts but my guess would be that we would be seeing a tradeoff due to the FSX flight dynamics engine. Means, in the case of the CS 737, I'd expect a too stable behaviour when it comes to yaw tendencies. Oh, I forgot another mod I'm running. One for the sim itself, which alters the ground friction and, therefore, the grip e.g. the front wheel can develop.  Cheesy

As for stalls. Well, the rw folks may not fly them that often (stick shaker activation is the limit, no?) but FSX once again offers a huge hurdle for the airliner addons when it comes to either allowing for somehow proper stall margins or a realistic cruise performance. Again, this is just from looking how the competition of Captain Sim explains why their sophisticated models don't allow for proper stall speeds. In short, they stall way later than the rw counterpart. And I don't expect the CS plane to differ from this somehow known downside.

Now I wanna be honest. I think the flight model on the plane is 'just ok' in terms of accuracy. So I really doubt it serves the purpose of training somehow close to rw events outside of the normal envelope. To be fair, I also doubt that CS had this clientele in mind when designing the plane. Adding, they've also picked a very, very powerful default setup, so perhaps we are even looking at a lot of 'fun' values.

To look a bit further, we may have to ask if other companies offer renditions of a very detailed 737-200. The answer is yes, but I don't know how their finesse on the FDE is developed. The very latest release looks like there's more on some ends and they also promote a focus on accuracy when it comes to fulfilling rw performance tasks. I haven't checked that but if that's your focus too, perhaps you can also look over there. It was just released, so you might encounter certain bugs and issues. But they are quite good at fixing them from my experience with their other planes.

My honest and personal impression regarding your aiming point and the setup of the CS 737 (which, for itself, is a great addon I really like): Perhaps not compatible.  Undecided

If you don't mind. We've collected some fun stuff with (mainly) the 737. This is just to show that one can really have fun with this release.  Smiley http://captainsim.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1344489562

IP Logged

LOU
Beta Team

727,707,747,757,767=
40years of Boeings

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Bernoulli,

CoolP is correct.

The CS models are indeed very well made and fly better than any other ad-ons that I own.

That said, they are limited by the FSX code and although most of the systems are active they may not do everything as the plane does.

I have flown single engine approaches, landings and go-arounds but while they act a bit like the real plane there is just a little something missing....

"The TERROR!"  Shocked

Lou

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k @3.5Ghz Memory: 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Storage: 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro | 120Gb OCZ Agility 3 | WD Black 640Gb 7200rpm 55" Samsung LED - HDTV for monitor

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
LOU wrote on Aug 4th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
just a little something missing....

"The TERROR!"  Shocked

Well said, Lou. And I guess that, on the current Internet, a 'terror mod for the 737' is kinda hard to distribute.  Lips Sealed  Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

Bernoulli

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2013 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info guys...you rock! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top