Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
737 Missing Textures (Night, mainly) (Read 4938 times)
sierranev

737 Missing Textures (Night, mainly)
Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I am hoping someone here may be able to help...

Some of the night textures are missing in the 737 VC on my system.  This becomes apparent as I try to turn on different interior lights, both with the knobs/switches and using shift+L.  Many parts of the panel stay dark or glow a very faint dull red only and others light up.  I've attached a screenshot that shows the cockpit after pressing shift+L.

When I cycle through external views, parts of the fuselage are black (textures do not seem to be loading).  The VC textures are fine during the day, unless I cycle views after which some of them go black.

This also happens to a lesser degree in the 707, although reloading the aircraft one or more times will usually solve the problem.

I am also using the 757 and 727 with no trouble.

I have tried:

- Uninstalling, downloading, and reinstalling the current 737 version
- deleting 737 registry keys prior to reinstall
- reinstalling FSX SP2
- disabling virus scan
- resetting fsx.cfg to default settings

Nothing seems to work!

Any ideas from the experts out there?  I am thinking about reinstalling all of FSX, but I don't want to go that route unless completely necessary.

My specs:
Windows XP 32 bit
FSX SP2
C2D E8500
GTX 460 1 GB (driver version 6.14.13.681)
4 GB ram

Thanks

fsx_2013-01-22_15-21-12-68.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Nick Cooper

Re: 737 Missing Textures (Night, mainly)
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I believe your problem is attributable to your OS being 32 bit.
A 32 bit OS can only use an absolute maximum of 3 gb of RAM for
any single 32 bit programme, such as FSX is.
This is assuming that there are 3 gb remaining after that used by the OS and background processes.
Here is a link to help explain
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx
I also believe that the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE referred to is applied by FSX SP2, so your system should be using the most RAM that it can.

Insufficient memory will prevent textures from loading and result in what can be seen in your screenshot.

Even with a 64 bit OS, FSX, as a 32 bit programme, can only use up to 4 gb of RAM and in practice will start to struggle well before that limit is reached.

The 707, while being an excellent model, is capable of disrupting my system, despite its Intel i5 2500k 4.3 mhz processor, 8 gb of ram, Geforce 570 GTX graphics card and running in Dx10 under Windows 8 64 bit, especially if I cycle views too often between outside and the various excellent interior views.
I don't have enough experience of the 737 yet to make a valuable comment but I would be surprised if the same did not apply.

I can suggest two possible solutions, one is to turn down your FSX settings until there is enough memory available to display the aircraft textures correctly.

The second is to apply the recently released Dx10 patches by Steve Parsons and try running the aircraft under the Direct X 10 preview.

I would advise wasting no more time reinstalling, I suspect that your installations are fine.
If you have modified your FSX.cfg file, it might be worthwhile renaming it and trying the new one that FSX will build.

IP Logged

sierranev

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 3:27am
Print Post  
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the detailed and helpful response.  After reading your suggestion regarding limited system memory, I did two things that seemed to help:

1) added userva=2560 to my Windows boot.ini file to allow FSX access to more system memory
2) changed FSX global texture resolution from "very high" to "high"

Both the 737 and 707 show no more black panels (I also made an effort to cycle views less frequently).

I am intrigued about the possibility of DX10 and the patch from Steve Parsons, but I understand that DX10 is available only on Windows Vista/7/8.  Have you noticed a significant difference with DX10 vs DX9?

Thanks again, the problem I was experiencing has now been solved due to your suggestions.

IP Logged

Nick Cooper

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I am delighted that your problem is now resolved.

Almost everyone who has tried Dx10 with Steve Parsons' fixes has reported an increase in performance and in my experience, it allows FSX to handle the CS aircraft without the artifacts and OOM errors I occasionally used to see.

I can't remember enough about XP to advise on whether or not it will support Dx10, I am assuming that your graphics card does.

Here is a link which may be of use to you.
http://www.directx10.net/archives/Directx-Download-Download-DirectX-10-for-Windo...

I can say for certain that none of Mr Parsons' fixes affect the Dx9 side of FSX and that as long as you back up your fsx.cfg file before making any of the changes recommended in the "How to" document, none of them will affect it either.

You might wish to browse some of the posts in this forum
http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/
for further opinions

The latest fixes are here
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=DX10+shader&CatID=root

and the "How to" is here
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52676345/DX10_Fix/Notes/DX10%20Notes.pdf

Regards,
Nick

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Thank you Nick. This is very helpful stuff!
brgds, Lex

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 1:56am
Print Post  
I agree with Lex. There is some very helpful info there! Up until I read this, I wouldn't use Preview DX10.

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top