Visit Captain Sim web site  
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Fixes for the caution lights & firefighting (Read 9337 times)
Dutch

Fixes for the caution lights & firefighting
Nov 28th, 2012 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
This airplane flies just fine but it's not dispatchable with the master caution and fire warning lights not working; plus, engine fires simply aren't detected at all, and even if they were, the fire bottle discharge handles are INOP and won't put out the fire!

Here's a download that will fix all this:

http://www.fscaptain.net/downloads/Fix_CS732.zip

The ZIP contains a README explaining how to install and with some notes on the implementation.  I really don't have time to get those lights working with the reset and recall functions, so I've wired them into the various indicator signals so that when any of them are on  the master caution and the category warning lights will be on.

When the light is on you know there's something wrong with your airplane assuming your engines are running.  Start looking for the warning light which will be on somewhere.  The category light will give a hint of where to look, e.g. OVERHEAD or DOORS.

The fire problems are fixed, except the bell doesn't jingle when there's a fire but the lights will light up (master and handle) and pulling the handle will put out the fire.

Now I can fly this wonderful old airplane in the line.

Enjoy!
Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Re: Fixes for the caution lights & firefighting
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2012 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that one too.

Just to confirm. The readme says.
Quote:
1.  Backup your CS_B737-200\Panel folder.

2.  Copy the contents of this to your CS_B737-200\Panel folder.
   Overwrite the two CAB files.

I don't have any cab files in that folder, just a lot of subfolders showing the gauge ingredients. When I unzip the files and replace the original folders, it should work. But my main question is. Why does the readme speak of the cab files? Do I have another version than you?  Huh

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 2:42am
Print Post  
First, important for ALL users of this fix, re-download it if your version is dated before November 28 at 9:30PM.  There was a bug that caused the captain's master caution to come on even when it shouldn't during nighttime.  If this bug shows up, re-download and re-install the two CABs. 

Coolp, if the two cabs aren't there but they've been expanded into folders, just rename your existing folders and expand these, or leave them in the CABs if you want, they work either way.  When I installed the 737 it put CABs into my panel folder, I had to expand them manually to get at the contents to fix them - you are lucky!

It'll be obvious when you have it working - the master caution will be lit when you turn on the battery.

Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 4:33am
Print Post  
I'm still puzzled. We should have the same setup in the panel folder. So if you had cab files, I should have those too. I didn't trigger any extraction.

Just trying to avoid that one of us is working with outdated files. My installer file reads csp732_1000.exe. And yours?

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Mine is csp732_1000.exe dated 7/9/2012 7:05 PM size 199,533KB.

Okay, I installed to a testbed, and indeed the distribution has folders not CABs.  I got confused with the 727 which has its stuff in CABs and thought I'd expanded the 737 cabs like I had the 727 ones and therefore to be compatible I had to distribute the changes in a CAB.

So, have updated the fix with the folders included instead of the CABs.  You can re-download it or just expand the CABS doesn't make any difference.  Thanks for spotting this...

Entirely my mistake!

Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
No problem, Dutch. It just confused me at first.

Now here's another one. I can't get the warnings to show up. I've replaced the two folders, added the one line in [VCockpit01] and placed the interfaceCS737.xml in the panel folder, but the gauge stays dark. Since it isn't a difficult installation process, I wonder what went wrong.  Undecided

Could it be that the lights depend on something else? I'm on battery and later APU power and there's no light at all. I'm using the -200 model on FSX Acceleration.

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Sigh.  Let's try this one more time.  Thanks for your patience in beta testing this Coolp.

Download it again and re-install.  The instructions have changed slightly because the structure has changed a little and the line in your panel.cfg has too.  This one should work.  One hopes Smiley

Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
No luck, Dutch.  Undecided Sorry, I would love to see where I'm doing something wrong but I can't.
Quote:
To install
----------

1.  Backup your CS_B737-200\Panel folder.

2.  Copy the contents of this to your CS_B737-200\Panel folder.
    Overwrite the two Captain_Sim.x737.G01 and G05 folders.

3.  Add the following line to the [VCockpit01] section of your panel.cfg:

gauge19=InterfaceCS737,1,1,1,1

You may need to change the 19 above to one higher than the highest
gauge number already in the list, as usual in adding gauges.

Perhaps some other user can test it on his system. I have a default CS 737-200, except for the mods from Bud and Paul, but I've even tried it without them. I doubt that they would interfere though, so I must be doing something wrong.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Hello Dutch and CoolP,
gave it a try and have exactly the same result as CoolP described.
Downloaded the latest file version as you say.
Followed your instructions from Readme. (no CAB files here by the way)
in my case the next gauge number in [VCockpit01] is 18.
Tried almost every possible electrical config e.g. Ext pwr, gen1, gen2 but none of the MC annunciators showed up when supposed to (tried almost all amber ovhd caution lights by switching systems on and off.)
cheers, Lex

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Dutch, could it be that one needs FSCaptain to run it? Just guessing. By the way, thanks for the feedback Aflex.

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Well, it's working for me but I've tinkered with things here.  So I'll do a clean install on a test system and see what little tiny detail is missing.  Coding can drive you nuts, but we'll get it to work.

Dutch

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2012 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Okay, testing reveals that the elements all work we just have to get them in the right place.  To help with this I uploaded yet another ZIP at the same location.  Here's how it should look to work rightly:

1. The Captain_Sim.x737.G01 and G05 folders should have been replaced completely in the panel folder of your 737.

2.  There should be a folder named Fix732 in your panel folder, and it should contain 1 file: InterfaceCS737.xml.

3.  The last line in your VCockpit01 section should read:

gaugeXX=Fix732!InterfaceCS737,1,1,1,1

Replace XX with the appropriate number (18 in an unmodified 737-200).

This should get the caution lights lit up.

The InterfaceCS737.xml file contains the code to check for the various warning lights in the 737 and to set switches to light up the caution lights.

The modified Captain_Sim.x737.G0X folders contain slightly changed XML so that the master attention-getters will follow the settings of the new variables instead of the incorrect CS ones.

I did the test on an FSX installation without FSCaptain installed - it is not required.

Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Now it works. Thanks!  Smiley Looks very nice. Yes, cancelling the warnings would be nice too.  Tongue

See? We always want more.  Grin

IP Logged

Aflex

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Same here. Working now. Adds to the realism. Great job Dutch! thks.
I did it as you describe it in your post for I believe the readme from the zip is still the old one. (2am - maybe I'm too tired to see right)
night, Lex

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 4:36am
Print Post  
I restructured the contents of the zip file to make it so that following the instructions should result in everything falling into place.

Glad it's working!  I've been enjoying flying the 200 around for fun and familiarization but now I want to use it "for real" and I can't chance something going wrong and me just sailing blissfully along.   So, had to have this minimal warning system.

Hopefully CS will fix this properly in 1.1 and we can ditch this fix.  If not, maybe I can revisit it and put in the reset function.  Until then, at least a mech failure should be obvious, or if we start to push with a door open Smiley

Dutch

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 3:49am
Print Post  
It's actually funny to see how old that warning concept is. Once again, good work, Dutch.

I was wondering about two things I can't edit due to my low/non existent skills. First, the gauge refresh rate for some of the gauges. Second, the FD and the wonky modes plus the low refresh rate. Are those within reach for you and is there a chance to get you to try your luck there?  Smiley

IP Logged

Dutch

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
It's possible but I'm very busy getting an FSCaptain release out and already feel a bit guilty over the time I've spent on this.  Maybe after the next release is out some time will open up.

Dutch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top