Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Freighter 707? (Read 7185 times)
BeaverDriver
Ex Member

Freighter 707?
Jan 22nd, 2011 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I did a search in this, and the other 707 forum, to see if there is, or will be, a 707 freighter/cargo version, but it came up with no results. So, at the risk of repeating a question that may already have been asked, may I ask if a freighter version of the 707 is planned, or is already part of the original 707 release (screen shots didn't show it, so I assume no)? I'm getting a lot of use out of the 727 freighters and would like to compliment that with a 707.

Thanks very much.

Glenn

IP Logged

Kapitan

Re: Freighter 707?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
I think there will be, remember the 707 just released is the 300, other sries, freighter and military E3 are expected.

But taking the oportunity, I never understood freighters, what do you enjoy about them?

a) The freighter has no windows, specially at night, a passenger jet is litten in all the windows, the plane shines more...nice. The freighter has no windows, at night its darker...uninteresting, less than an airliner.

b) If you are playing being a pilot, a passenger Capitan has more glamour (specially in the 70s) uniform, stewardess, cabin anouncements, food, etc...while a freighter pilot is...well, a guy in normal clothes just piloting a plane full of cargo, a trucker!

c) Cargo pilots of the main airliners are some sort of second degree, unworthy of being responsible for souls. I dont mean Fedex or exclusive cargo companies...and I know many people dont like this, but a cargo pilot is like "Im working here cause I could get a job at British Airways". Even thou many cargo pilots earn more than airliners.

I invite to hear the advantages of "simulating" freighters, maybe Im missing something, so far I dont get them.

&&&&

IP Logged

BeaverDriver
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
<LOL> Well, yes, in many eyes, the cargo pilot is not as "up there" as the passenger pilots I suppose, but there are different levels of cargo flying. Let's see if I can explain this... .

1) As you noted, the full, or larger sized exclusive cargo companies do have good reputations and are extremely busy. This would include FedEx, DHL, Purolator, Atlas, Polar, Air Contractors, etc., etc. These guys offer advancement and the potential to fly aircraft and to places you may not get a chance with when working for the passenger outfits.

2) While more glamorous (I suppose), cargo pilots don't have to deal with unruly passengers or worse (terrorist threats) nearly to the same degree airline pilots do.

3) Flying a cargo plane is a more relaxed position, mainly because you don't have passenger demands to worry about (last time I checked, 4000 Kg of flowers have never once complained about bumpy air  Wink ).

4) Cargo, again while less glamorous, is extremely important. Many objects transported on cargo planes include much needed medical supplies, as well as other highly important products that people need urgently. True, a lot of it is simply "toys" (TV's, radios, and whatnot), but often there are things like batteries that run pacemakers, scientific packages that are extremely time sensitive (ice cores from Greenland for example, in the study of the global climate change), vehicle parts without which many, many people would be laid off work from, food stuffs to keep the world fed, emergency relief supplies going to areas of natural disasters, and so on.

There are more examples, but that would require me to actually think, and that could hurt  Cheesy. What draws me to cargo mostly is that the scheduling is far more versatile and varied than simply flying for a passenger airline. Even in FSX, if I want to keep it reasonably "real", if I were flying for a passenger outfit, I'd be on the Vancouver to Anchorage run for a couple of weeks, or Toronto-Miami run for another couple, and so on. You tend to do the same route and the same time, for a specified period of time, AND you aren't allowed (in North America) to (assuming you are a Canadian company) pick up a charter in Canada, and go to several U.S. cities on that same charter. You can go to one place in the States, drop your people off, then pick them up again and come back to Canada. It's the same going the other way for American carriers (this may be different in Europe, but I don't know). However, if you are operating a cargo outfit, you can pretty much go where the cargo needs to go. So, I could load up my 707-320F in Toronto, go to Philadelphia and offload/onload cargo, then go to Miami to drop off and pick up some more cargo, then to Prestwick (Scotland), Liege, Bangkok, etc., all on a single run. That sounds a lot more interesting than driving back and forth between Montreal and Atlanta for 2 weeks straight  Smiley. There really is lots to say about being a cargo pilot, and some (many) do it by choice for those very reasons. It's a great way to see a lot of the world, AND not have to deal with the main terminal traffic at the other end! Not bad, eh?

Thanks very much indeed for your quick response. I do know it's early yet and I'm certainly not asking for "when", only "if" and it's great to hear that one will be made down the road. Thank you!

Glenn

IP Logged

BeaverDriver
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah, I forgot one of the more important reasons for flying cargo in FS with the CS aircraft - you do such a fabulous job on the modeling, they are pretty much irresistible  Smiley. I am getting the Skymaster DVD that others have noted here and elsewhere, in anticipation.

OK, done now Wink.

Glenn

IP Logged

Captain Sim
CS Team

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
The Freighter is going to be the first expansion model for the 707 Captain.
Hopefully Q1.

IP Logged

BeaverDriver
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
FABULOUS!! Thank you!

Glenn

IP Logged

CoolP

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:29am
Print Post  
Nice information, Alex. Thanks.

IP Logged

Markoz
CS Team

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Captain Sim wrote on Jan 22nd, 2011 at 5:54pm:
The Freighter is going to be the first expansion model for the 707 Captain.
Hopefully Q1.
Thanks Alex. Another addition to look forward too! Grin

Mark

Mark Fletcher

PC: i7 10700K @3.8/5.1GHz | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RTX 4070 Super | 32" LCD Monitor | 1TB SSD & 2x2TB SSD | Win 11 Pro - FSX/FSX-SE/P3D3/P3D4/P3D5/P3D6/MSFS2020
15.6" Gaming Laptop: i7 7700HQ | 32GB DDR4 | 6GB GTX 1060 | 256GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Win 10 Pro 64bit - FSX-SE/P3D4

IP Logged

Kapitan

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot one of the more important reasons for flying cargo in FS with the CS aircraft - you do such a fabulous job on the modeling, they are pretty much irresistible  Smiley. I am getting the Skymaster DVD that others have noted here and elsewhere, in anticipation.

OK, done now Wink.

Glenn

Thanks for your insight Glenn.
I will try the Freighters, the Skymaster clips in youtube seem to be very interesting. They are from Brazil too, fly in T-shirts in a relaxed style. Smiley

&&&&

IP Logged

BeaverDriver
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks Kapitan. Think of it this way - in hockey, football or soccer, most people want to be the forward or the quarterback that want to score the goals. They like the game as much for the glory as the game. Then you have the guys that play defence. They don't get nearly the same amount of attention that the guys doing the scoring do. For them it is much more for the pure love of the game, since there is little glory for them. It's like that with pilots in a way. The passenger pilots get most of the glory or recognition from the passengers. The cargo pilot doesn't, because passengers never see them, and often never even see the aircraft they are flying. So, they do it for the pure love of flying. Not a bad thing when you think about it  Smiley

Glenn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top